Scratch Community Manager, Lifelong Kindergarten
The MIT Scratch Team is seeking a Community Manager to oversee and moderate interactions in the rapidly-growing Scratch online community (http://scratch.mit.edu), where young people from around the world create, share, and discuss interactive stories, games, and animations. The Scratch online community has more than 12 million registered members, with 20,000 new members (ages 8 and up) joining every day.
As Community Manager, you will supervise a team of full-time and part-time staff to moderate, support, and facilitate interactions in the Scratch online community. You will also be responsible for putting in place new systems and processes to support future growth of the community -- and ensuring that Scratch remains the world’s most creative, collaborative, and friendly online community for kids. You will serve as part of the leadership team of the Scratch project, located within the MIT Media Lab in Cambridge, MA.
The ideal candidate will have experience in managing online communities, a passion for providing creative opportunities for young people, and a desire to work on a mission-driven non-profit initiative.
This is a full-time position with full MIT staff benefits (medical, retirement, etc.). US work authorization is required.
- Manage staff in moderating interactions and supporting activities in the online community;
- Identify problem trends and potential areas for improvements in the moderation process;
- Develop processes to support future growth of the online community;
- Participate in design discussions and helps prioritize improvements on the website;
Skills and Experience:
- Strong leadership skills;
- Extensive experience with online communities;
- Experience supervising staff;
- Experience supporting youth in informal or interest-driven settings;
- Some technical experience, particularly with community infrastructure;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- An eagerness to constantly learn, grow, and expand your skills and capabilities.
Questions? Contact: jobs [at] scratch [dot] mit [dot] edu
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter referencing job no. 13225 at http://careers.mit.edu; keyword is Scratch.