We are seeking a curious and motivated individual to join our Scratch team at the MIT Media Lab. With over 100 million unique visitors per year, Scratch (scratch.mit.edu) is one of the world’s largest online communities for children. On Scratch kids can create and share interactive media such as stories, games, and animations using a free and open source programming environment.
Here at the Lifelong Kindergarten group (MIT Media Lab), we are passionate about creating technology that enables kids to think creatively, work collaboratively, and reason systematically. We’re a small, close-knit team of passionate designers, engineers, and researchers with diverse backgrounds from across the tech industry, various startups, and many open source projects. We’re looking for designers who enjoy collaborating across disciplines and who thrive within an environment of continual iteration and improvement. We’re located inside of the MIT Media Lab amidst a giant pit of LEGO bricks – so a thirst for creative making (and a little bit of tolerance for mess) is a must!
We believe that amazing people often come from diverse backgrounds and experiences. While you should have some experience designing user interfaces and interactions, we fully support candidates that have come to design through non-traditional paths. As a Designer, you will contribute to the design and deployment of new features and work closely with other designers, engineers, and learning-resource developers on the team to further develop your skills.
• Collaborate closely with product team to explore branding direction for various Scratch projects including Scratch Day, Scratch Conference, and ScratchJr;
• Collaborate closely with product team to co-develop wireframes, user flows, and final designs for new features;
• Build, maintain, and communicate Scratch brand guidelines;
• Design and manage production for print and other physical collateral.
• Passion for creating great experiences and solving unique problems
• Passion for learning new skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Experience creating illustrations
• Experience designing for print
• Experience designing interfaces for the web
• Degree in visual design or two years’ experience
• Experience wireframing user flows
• Experience creating iconographic systems
• Experience with education and learning environments for children
To apply, go to careers.mit.edu and search for job ID # 14952.
Find open positions at MIT by career area, location, full- or part-time, keyword and more.