The Open Agriculture Initiative (OpenAg) is looking for a software developer to join in the development of open source software for server backends, databases, embedded devices, UIs, web apps and mobile apps for OpenAg’s “Food Computer” platforms. Instances will be designed for use by a variety of audiences (researchers, children, teachers, commercial production environment, etc.). This is a full-time, contract position based at the Media Lab from September 1 - December 31, 2017, with the possibility of extension based on funding and research priorities.
The primary responsibilities include designing, prototyping, documenting and implementing features on the OpenAg software stack. General software development experience and the ability to quickly learn new technologies is the most important requirement. The work spans the world of software, from mobile and web UI, user UX design/testing, embedded device programming, communications, data storage, security and back end server applications.
Will report to the Lead Back End Developer of the Open Agriculture Initiative.
- Bachelor’s in computer science or similar technical field.
- At least three years’ professional programming experience.
- Solid understanding of software development best practices: TDD, modular/OO design, design patterns, communications, IPC, threading, etc.
- Ability to think strategically and work independently with minimal oversight.
- Effective communication and documentation skills.
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity and serving diverse constituents.
- Must be able to work on several tasks concurrently.
- Must collaborate with a diverse group in a fast-paced, team-oriented and rapidly changing work environment.
- Some travel, evening and weekend hours required during deployment of pilot programs.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Note: Applicants must be authorized to work in the US. We'll be accepting resumes and considering candidates until the position is filled.