Full-Stack Software Researcher & Developer for Indoor IoT (internship)
We are working on commercializing cutting-edge MIT technology invented by professor Fadel Adib and the Signal Kinetics group. Our technology uses IoT to 3D map indoor environments with unparalleled precision, and has applications in various industries including retail, warehousing, and manufacturing.
What we are looking for: The Signal Kinetics group has a summer internship opening for a full-stack software researcher & developer for an IoT-based indoor mapping system, particularly in the context of cloud computing, back-end/front-end development, and software system integration. The group is looking for a hands-on, self-motivated intern that’s excited about research on novel indoor mapping technology and motivated to develop software for real-world pilots with an industry partner.
Start Date: May or June 2022
Duration: 3-4 months
Interested applicants can send an email with CV and a paragraph describing interest in the project to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Improve and expand cloud and back-end architecture for an indoor mapping system;
- Develop new API’s for system integration, and integrate with mobile / web front-ends
- Improve indoor mapping performance with algorithm improvements, performance engineering
- Expand unit testing and testing framework across the software stack
- Setup and integrate physical mapping systems with backend
- Collaborate with industry stakeholders on concrete use cases; communicate results and incorporate feedback
- Collaborate with a team of researchers in developing, prototyping, and evaluation
Qualifications & Skills:
- Strong programming experience in either Python, C/C++, or other relevant languages for software engineering
- Experience in cloud computing such as AWS or Microsoft Azure
- Good coding practices: version control, unit testing, documentation
- Industry experience (can be in the form of an internship) in working with production code
- Ability to work independently, as well as a part of a highly collaborative interdisciplinary team
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Experience with hardware (e.g. Raspberry Pi, Arduino, software radios, etc.)
- Experience with computer vision and/or mapping