The Lab's primary source of funding comes from more than 80 corporate members whose businesses range from electronics to entertainment, furniture to finance, and toys to telecommunications. Membership, available in several different options, provides a unique opportunity for corporations to have access to a valuable resource for conducting research that is too costly or too "far out" to be accommodated within a corporate environment. It is also an opportunity for corporations to bring their business challenges and concerns to the Lab to see the solutions our researchers present.
Consortium Lab Member
The most frequently selected option, a consortium lab membership connects a company with a group of other sponsors and Lab faculty and research staff focused on a common agenda. These members have access to all of the research conducted at the Lab, Lab-wide visiting privileges, invitations to semi-annual member-only events, and full intellectual property rights. Consortium Lab Members may also choose to enhance their membership further through support of a Graduate Fellow. Benefits include:
- Access to all of the research conducted at the Lab;
- Lab-wide visiting privileges;
- Customized company day at the Lab with a strategic brainstorming session;
- Invitation to member events (twice a year);
- Invitation to Lab-wide lectures and special events;
- Non-exclusive, license-fee-free, royalty-free licensing rights for IP;
- Optional participation in the Lab's graduate fellows program;
- Student recruitment; and
- Access to all Media Lab publications and password-protected sponsor Web site.
Consortium Research Lab Member
This level of membership provides all the benefits of Consortium Lab Membership (see above) with the added benefit of an employee-in-residence at the Lab.