Information for Applicants
The 2018 cycle will open on September 15, 2017. Applications will be due December 1, 2017.
See the Fall 2018 admissions timeline.
Applications for the Program in Media Arts and Sciences (MAS), including recommendation letters, are required to be submitted electronically using the online application system.
All new Media Arts and Sciences (MAS) students are accepted at the master's level first. After completing the two year master's degree, students may apply to the doctoral program. Students in both the MAS master's and PhD programs are currently fully funded (tuition, medical insurance, and stipend).
Coursework requirements depend on your research group—there is no "core curriculum." MIT's most current course catalogue is available online. Examples of MAS courses can be found on MITOpenCourseWare.
We know that innovation is fostered through diversity. As such, students from underrepresented groups (women, minorities, and first-generation students) are encouraged to apply. Learn more about our diversity and community efforts.
A complete application includes the following:
- Statement of objectives, including a link to online portfolio if required. Learn more about portfolio requirements.
- Transcripts from previously attended universities. Please upload unofficial transcripts, official transcripts are not required.
- Three recommendation letters
- List up to three faculty members/research groups with whom you'd like to work. Include this information in the "areas of research or interdisciplinary program" field, and list faculty names at the beginning of statement of objective.
- GREs are not required.
- More information on the IELTS requirement is available on the International Students page.
Still have a question? Check our FAQ page for more MAS application information.