Information for Applicants
All MAS students begin at the master's level and can then apply to the PhD program during their second year of study. Unfortunately we cannot accept applications directly to the PhD program except from current MAS students.
Media Arts and Sciences (MAS) students are fully funded including tuition, medical insurance, and a stipend. For more detailed information regarding the cost of attendance, including specific costs for tuition and fees, books and supplies, housing and food as well as transportation, please visit the SFS website.
All application materials, including recommendation letters and portfolios, are required to be submitted electronically using the online application system.
A complete application includes the following:
- Statement of objectives
- Portfolio. Learn more about portfolio requirements.
- Transcripts from previously attended universities. Please upload unofficial transcripts—official transcripts are not required.
- Three recommendation letters.
- Select up to three faculty members/research groups with whom you would like to work on the "Program Information" page of the online application, and list the groups and faculty names at the beginning of your statement of objectives.
- GRE scores are not required.
- More information on the IELTS/TOEFL requirement is available on the International Students page.
- If you would like support with the application process, you may qualify for the Students Offering Support (SOS) Program. More information can be found here.
We know that innovation is fostered through diversity. As such, students from underrepresented groups (women, minorities, first-generation students, and the intersections thereof) are encouraged to apply. Learn more about our diversity and community efforts.