Information for Applicants
The 2018 cycle is now open and due December 1! Apply here.
See the Fall 2018 admissions timeline.
When applying, Media Arts and Sciences (MAS) applicants can indicate whether they are interested in a master’s or doctoral degree. Regardless of degree indicated, all MAS students begin at the master’s level and can apply to the doctoral program in the second year. If you list your desired final degree as PhD, you may be offered admission only to the master’s program and can then apply to the PhD. If you list your desired final degree as PhD and are offered admission to the PhD, you must complete the master’s requirements, and then you will move on to the doctoral program without having to re-apply.
Students in both the MAS master's and PhD programs are currently fully funded (tuition, medical insurance, and stipend).
All application materials, including recommendation letters and portfolios, are required to be submitted electronically using the online application system. A complete application includes the following:
- Statement of objectives, including a link to online portfolio if required. Learn more about portfolio requirements
- Transcripts from previously attended universities. Please upload unofficial transcripts, official transcripts are not required
- Three recommendation letters
- List up to three faculty members/research groups with whom you'd like to work. Include this information in the "areas of research or interdisciplinary program" field, and list faculty names at the beginning of statement of objective.
- GREs are not required
- More information on the IELTS requirement is available on the International Students page
We know that innovation is fostered through diversity. As such, students from underrepresented groups (women, minorities, and first-generation students) are encouraged to apply. Learn more about our diversity and community efforts.
Still have a question? Check our FAQ page for more MAS application information.